Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Cardinal Plate Information

I posted this plate on SCS (HERE) and ever since I have been getting lots of questions about it. So, I thought that I would share all the information on my blog - not that I mind replying to you all individually - this way I can accommodate them all at once.

I found this plate in the ceramic aisle at my local Hobby Lobby store. They have two sizes - a larger version for $2.99 and this smaller one for $1.99 (I think that was the price I paid). I thought that smaller one was the perfect size for my Cardinal stamp for SU's A Cardinal Christmas from the Holiday Mini. 

Here's how I made this. First cleaned the decorative plate and wipe it with an alcohol wipe to remove all dust. Once it dried, I stamped the Cardinal image with Jet Black StazOn Stamp Pad. As that was drying, I put a dab of Crystal Effects on to a paper plate and added a drop of my ink refills to it. I mixed (dilute with more Crystal Effects to get the desired color) completely and then "painted" the image with a small tipped paintbrush. After I was finished "painting" I put a clear coat of Crystal Effects over the top of the image to give it a smooth look. Finally I added the red Rhinestones and let it dry. Once it was all dried (overnight) I put the finishing touches on it and there you have it. That simple. The hardest part is the waiting!

Kind of a disclaimer: I will let you know that I did not seal the plate. I imagine you could put a clear coat over the entire plate, but I am unsure how it will change the image. I also really don't know if this is a correct way to use Crystal Effects and how long it will last - but I thought that the way it turned out was beautiful and with gentle care, I think it should last for a while.

Thanks for all the questions and I hope this answers most of them. If you find any of the information unclear, please email me and let me know. I love hearing from all of you! Also, don't forget to check out my Celebration Candy on this POST! Take care & enjoy!

1 comment:

Cathy Rulli said...

This is awesome!!! What a great gift idea!!!